With its self-confident looks and friendly, distinctive face, the new Opel Corsa is ready for its first public appearance. The British International Motor Show (July 18 – 30) in London, Europe’s trend-setting metropolis, will be the stage for the Corsa’s world premiere.
Unmistakable characteristics of the new Corsa include unique design with strong, sporty lines, a newly-developed chassis for agile and safe cornering, new high-tech features in this class, as well as a new high-quality interior offering plenty of space, comfort, and opportunities for individualization. The fourth generation of Opel’s popular model, which has sold more than 9.4 million units alone in Europe since 1982, will be available at dealerships in October 2006.
Opinions on the new Corsa:
Carl-Peter Forster, President, General Motors Europe: “Precision, substance, dynamics.
I love cars that have substance, and the Corsa certainly does. This makes it a confident Opel brand ambassador, whose quality is not just skin deep. And thanks to the new agile chassis it’s as sporty to drive as it is to look at.”
Hans Demant, Opel Managing Director: “My motto is: small car, great fun. And that’s what we all had, as we developed the new Corsa on some of the world’s most demanding test tracks. Excellent driving dynamics, perfect handling and powerful brakes – these are all characteristics I expect from an Opel today.”
Niels Loeb, Chief Designer, Corsa Studio: “It’s OK to be daring, especially when it’s our striking new coupe-like three-door Corsa. And look at its face – bright eyes with a cheeky grin. That’s just what we wanted the design to be – unique both inside and out, giving the owner a lasting sense of feel-good factor. It just cries out to be driven.”
Alain Visser, Executive Director, European Opel Marketing: “Exciting, unconventional, creative, and dynamic. That is London in a nutshell, and the Corsa too. That’s why I think London is the perfect place to hold the new Corsa’s world premiere, with its great blend of fun and energy, which we call ‘Funergy’.”
Characteristics of new Corsa:
- Design: Slimline stretched silhouette, coupe-like roofline, athletic contours, muscular rear shoulders – the three-door Corsa transforms its compact dimensions (length/width/height: 3.99/1.71/1.49 meters), long wheelbase (2511 mm), and wide track (1473/1458 mm) into a distinctively sporty proportion.
- Interior: More spacious passenger cabin with a commanding driving position and embracing ambience; wide range of interior motives in corresponding colors, materials and decor including piano lacquer finished surfaces; glowing translucent control knobs and switches (subject to equipment level); clever storage ideas.
- Chassis: Completely newly-developed; top driving dynamics and agility; optional new Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with Enhanced Understeering Control (EUC), braking at all four wheels if required; ABS with Cornering Brake Control (CBC) as standard; brake assist; first in class to have variable progressive sports power steering; lowered sports chassis and 17-inch wheels optional.
- Engines: Three gasoline and two common-rail turbo-diesel engines with 1.0 to 1.4-liter displacement, and output from 60 to 90 hp; four-valve technology; new 125 hp 1.7 CDTI with standard DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) available shortly; gasoline engines all feature Opel’s fuel-saving TWINPORT technology; DPF – a rare feature in the small displacement class – also available for 1.3-liter diesel engines.
- High-tech: Technology package with new features in this class, such as Halogen Adaptive Forward Lighting, innovative infotainment program, navigation systems with CD or DVD-ROM, radio/CD-player with MP3, mobile telephone with voice control and Bluetooth connection, includes networking for future mobile phone generations, Run Flat Tires, etc.
- Individualization: Many customizing-options, from driver’s preferences to electronically-controlled personal settings, such as automatically selectable presets for the electronic climate control or infotainment systems, electrically heated steering wheel, panorama sun roof.